Things you experience when you visit your In-Laws

As a daughter in law there are numerous expectations and responsibilities reserved for you at your in laws' place. In my personal case, my husband's family stay in a quaint town of Palampur untouched by the metro life under the foot hills of Himalayas in Himachal Pradesh. And as I had decided to voluntarily take a break from my usual job grind, a grand opportunity of staying with  my in laws for a period of 20 days lay ahead. A first of its kind of experience for me in my marriage of 2 years, I reluctantly grabbed it with hope and anticipation, since I had received mixed reviews from my friends who had vivid stories to tell from their In-Laws' visit, some not so very pleasant. So I also had my share of things to experience when visiting in-laws. Here is a brief of the tits and bits of what I learnt and experienced from this memorable trip -

1. When you stay at someone else's house (well technically it was mine, but I was visiting for holidays), there is a huge contrast in the life style and daily handling of tasks. All the things were cutely misplaced or misaligned as my per my thinking but soon I got crookedly adjusted to the that way of living.

2. The knives ..oh the knives have given me so much trouble! Your kitchen accessories are your dearest...and having to handle a different knife not in your practice or simply a knife with lesser sharpness than your own is an irritable task. I had to admit defeat daily in chopping onions and tomatoes and took refuge in the cutting board! ( I am used to chopping fine onion and tomato slices in my hand only :|)

3. How much ever lazy you are in your home, your feet will spring on the ground and get to work in your "Sasural". I found work on lazy afternoons and took extreme pleasure in cleaning and dusting activities or any deed which assisted the members of the family. My mother would have been so much pleased with me if I had done even an ounce of the work I did there :P

4. You can never know everything! There will be one offish dish or vegetable or a tradition which is only culturally en-rooted at your second home and you will have so much trouble struggling to do things right in the first attempt.

5. All the neighboring aunties and uncles will hoard you up like a celebrity and every time you walk with your mother in law in the local market, you will definitely get introduced to one aunty or another with a specific marking of their house -"Wo peele wale ghar me rehti hain Sharma Aunty!"

6. If you have the misfortune of being from a culturally different state or background, you are bound to be subjected to more sincere assessment in your new home. The other day I was shopping for Poha ingredients (a breakfast snack popular in northern parts of India) from the near by shop along with mother in law and sister in law, the shop owner aunty who of course knew us, funnily commented eyeing my purchase - "Oh! so your daughter in law will now cook you traditional south Indian recipies!".  I am from north-Central India originally and believe myself to be a north Indian, but just learned for the farther northern state of Himachal Pradesh, everything below Delhi is South India ...Arrrgghhh!

7. Alas, you are also made a member of the secret gossip community by the friendly neighbors and are now privy to the exclusive happenings of the town, chit chat masala from here and there. Guilty pleasure!

Are there any of yours too? Do share and let us have a conversation on this.

Note - This blog is written purely for humor and entertainment and does not wish to hurt the sentiments of any body reading . Please do take in the right spirit.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love the take on various events here. A fun read indeed, these things happen to me daily 'coz I stay with my in-laws.

xoxo - Style.. A Pastiche - styleapastiche.com - Visit me some time

Amrita Sharma said…
Oh! so you must be having more amusing stories to tell... :)
Thanks for the appreciation.
Amrita Sharma said…
Anjali Sengar .... :) It seems we are in the same boat :D
Maliny Mohan said…
I am not married, so I am yet to have such interesting anecdotes on the same. But, nonetheless, I loved reading the post:)
jessedavis said…
In Spain, where lockdown rules are among the strictest, with heavy fines levied on anyone not complying, domestic violence related fatalities have been reported in Valencia. Dr. He said 90% of them watch Glenn Beck. They frowned. The Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte and Akwesasne, which has a confirmed case of the American side of the border, are also under states of emergency.

The marijuana charge was dismissed in May after Foster participated in a pretrial diversion program. A reward of up to $2,000 is being offered through Huntsville Crime Stoppers for information Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale leading to the arrest New Air Jordan Shoes of those responsible for the vandalism.

"It's become hard to buy a shoe for $180 and wear it knowing I could sell it for $1,500," Yeezy Shoes For Sale he said.. Matt Harvey faces a tough road back from thoracic outlet syndrome. 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. Obviously the first was simply because dad, despite being conservative in many ways, was a left leaning liberal. Cheap Nike Air Force 1

The FBI had previously identified Wilson Jordan Shoes For Sale as a "potentially violent extremist" who had considered attacking a mosque, a synagogue, and a school with a large number of black students before settling on the hospital. At first, the host said Coach Outlet Clearance the funds could be applied to a MK Outlet future trip.

Barber Air Force 1 In Store had 55 rushing attempts for 223 yards and one touchdown a 44 yard run on his 10th NFL carry. I think we're not gonna stop listening to hear what others have to say," Gilbert said. We are very much hopeful that we will go upwe do have capacity, we need more testing," she said on Wednesday at a news conference alongside Dr..

Popular posts from this blog

Things to do before/after swimming

Meditate your way up life!

Real Beauty (Party of IndiBlogger contest)